Sunday, January 01, 2006

Resolution #1

This will be a bit tricky. You cannot make progress on some families without collateral research. But I need to continue cutting back on descendant research. While I am still interested in (someday) compiling all-inclusive genealogies, I need to focus more on specific ancestors and their siblings in order to, hopefully, make progress. This is how I got started, but along the way I've found myself easily sidetracked.

I will still extract all relevant family information from church records or certain other resources, and it will be too tempting to ignore information while at some libraries, archives, etc. -- time permitting -- but I need to put things like 20th century census records and directories on the back burner. (As The Genealogue cruelly pointed out, there are still well over 2200 days left until the 1940 census is released. I should probably put all census records on hold until 2012 and then just declare that the year of census research.)

On the other hand, I really, really need to track down descendants of some ancestors, the hope being that they will know the name of the German town I've been looking for. Frankly, I have had very little success in this area. I often do not get a reply and in other cases people don't care about genealogy/history. I usually have better luck making contacts when people find the website or old mailing list and message board posts. And with that in mind, I'm also going to start posting more. It's essentially free advertising -- might as well take advantage of it.

[]

No comments: