Sunday, March 12, 2006

RootsWeb message boards

I know RootsWeb is having trouble with their boards, but I think the problem may be more widespread than their message indicates:

2006-02-14
A hardware failure has stopped the board indexing. This means the search engine is not picking up posts. No time estimate was given on repairs. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A few days ago I was unable to find a message in my history that I had posted last summer. Not knowing the exact date, I navigated through a few pages of the board's archives to find the post. When I found it and refreshed my history, the link was then visible in my history. I thought that was odd.

Mysteriously, though, another message that I thought I had posted in that thread was gone. This bothered me because what was missing was my "thank you" to someone that not only pointed out a useful website for an area I know little about, but had taken the time to look up the names I had asked about.

I then posted a (second?) "thank you." The next day I was notified by email that the person who had helped me last summer had replied to my post. But when I clicked on the link to read her post, it was gone and so was my most recent "thank you."

I don't know what's going on, but I will not be posting anything until this is cleared up.

[]

No comments: