Sunday, June 18, 2006

Colonial lecture

A recent lecture about Colonial ancestry was not what I expected. Sure, I knew there would be talk about royal connections, but what nearly put me to sleep was almost two hours dominated by royals and notables -- not how to find connections to those people, but rather a laundry list of names.

It was obvious the speaker knew the material, but are people that desperate to find such a connection? Maybe, but I'm not so sure that was the case the other day. I wasn't the only one fidgeting and few people were taking notes. The same talk probably plays better elsewhere (New England?), I guess.

When a break was finally taken, I headed to the basement to research a few things I can't do at my local library. By doing so, I skipped the rest of the lecture. So, to be fair, maybe the lecture got better after noon. And I do regret not sticking around for a free consultation.

[]

No comments: