Thursday, December 27, 2007

Looking Back and Ahead

Well, one brick wall came down in 2007: connecting Willis HALL to his parents finally happened. A few years ago, I would have pushed hard to further that research, but I'm more realistic about things now and very relieved just to have completed this phase. Thanks goes out to distant cousins and strangers for their assistance with this research.

Not a lot else happened. That's not necessarily a bad thing, nor is it surprising. I'm lucky now to get a few hours of genealogy in each week. I have finally begun, for the last time, compiling my information in the way I had always wanted. It's a race to see who finishes first — me or the LDS digitization project!

Next year should be more of the same (lack of substantial progress), but also interesting. First, with little effort I could obtain DNA samples from my branch of the HEATONs. It's already been discussed and there seemed to be some interest. The trick will be getting samples from those with verified Pennsylvania (and New Jersey?) roots for comparison. Similarly, I've begun to think that a DNA test on my BURGER cousins might help tie up a few loose ends from 140-150 years ago.

Second, I'm confident Cousin Dan and I are very close to finding where the LODENKAMPERs resided prior to emigrating. It seems like we're in the right neighborhood, so to speak, but I just don't know where to guess next.

Finally, I'm about to order parish records for the REINMĂ–LLER family. If that transaction goes smoothly, I hope to resolve some issues that have been kicking around for several years.

Other than that, I don't see anything big on the horizon for 2008. Maybe I'll get another lucky break like the HALLs and a dead end will open up.

Here's the interesting part about '08: I may be libraryless! My local branch is closed until December 2008 for expansion and remodeling, and I'm not sure that their genealogy section was entirely moved to the temporary location. And thanks to some major roadwork over the next couple of years in St. Louis City and County, getting to StL County Special Collections may not be worth the hassle. Because they have a microfilm scanner, St. Louis is where I order all of my FHL microfilm. I'm hoping that my local branch decides to upgrade and adds one of these scanners next winter because the StL highway work isn't going to be finished until sometime in 2009. That's OK, I guess. It will give me an excuse to work on what I already have and maybe go on some short trips instead.

2 comments:

Lee said...

I started to write that I didn't break down any walls this year, but I had to take that back because I actually did. I suppose it wasn't on the forefront of my mind because it was one of those walls I hadn't really studied on too much yet, and it isn't a line I invest much of myself in. Hmm...I don't anticipate anything spectacular happening this year either. Just another same old, same old, and for that I am grateful. :-)

Happy New Year!

David said...

Happy New Year, Lee. I'll tell you what type of year it's been: I started to write about a breakthrough I made, one I was very happy about. The thing is, it didn't happen in 2007.