Sunday, October 09, 2005

Results from Borgholzhausen

I had identified three death records of ancestors on film 473590 (deaths 1852-1921) as my goal for this reel of film. Proceeding quicker than anticipated, I scanned nearly the whole reel Saturday morning and found all three; Anna Maria (KOCH) SCHACHT died in 1853, Marie Elsabein (WIEDEY) KOCH died in 1885 and Johann Heinrich KOCH died in 1900.

The 1885 death of Marie Elsabein KOCH and 1900 death of her husband Johann Heinrich stand out to me, particularly the latter event. That I know of, these are the two latest deaths of ancestors that remained in Germany. I didn't give it much thought before, but we know have one ancestor that lived in Germany into the last century. The newness of such a discovery is both interesting and...I don't know. I can't think of how to express it. It's just "new." I guess it's the same kind of feeling after finding a new ancestral location or an unexpected detail. By that time, Johann Heinrich KOCH's son, William, had been in America for over 30 years.

(After now looking over AQ, the deaths of Emil LANKAU's parents may turn out to be later. Those church records are likely going to be unavailable from the FHL, though.)

[, , , ]

No comments: